The Ogun State Government has opted for a low-key celebration of the 60th Independence Anniversary of the nation.
The Government said this became expedient as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to ensure public health, safety and security.
Governor Dapo Abiodun, in a statement issued in Abeokuta by his Press Secretary, Kunle Somorin, has therefore relocated the Diamond Independence Anniversary activities earlier scheduled to hold at the June 12 Cultural Centre, Kuto, Abeokuta to the Arcade Ground of the State Secretariat, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta. In line with COVID-19 Protocols, admission to the venue will be strictly by invitation. The statement said security and other aides of invited guests will not be allowed into the premises.
“All attendees at the function are to observe the COVID-19 protocols, including wearing of face masks to protect themselves and their loved ones,” the statement said.
Additional safety measures to ensure that the 60th Independence is celebrated in an atmosphere of peace and security include:
• 10pm to 6am curfew daily for two days –Thursday (1st October, 2020) and Friday (2nd October, 2020), starting from tonight
• Restriction of operations of commercial motorcycle riders, popularly called Okada, from all major roads in the state from 10.pm tonight (Wednesday) all through to 6.00am on Friday
• Operations of all commercial buses are also suspended from 10.00pm tonight till Friday morning
• Taxi cabs are permitted to operate within the hours outside the daily curfew period. However, the number of passengers remains limited to a maximum of three only.
• All forms of gathering in the state, except the State announced Independence Day Anniversary programme, are restricted to a maximum of 20 persons from 10.00pm tonight till 6.00am on Friday. No procession whatsoever is allowed.
• Owners and operators of hotels, suites guest houses, motels, and such establishments providing accommodation should note that the restriction on operations has not been lifted
• All residents are to monitor and report any suspicious movements and activities in their neighbourhood to the security agencies.
The Police, military and all security agencies have been directed by His Excellency, Prince Dapo Abiodun, to enforce these measures.
Governor Abiodun reassured residents that the Government is committed to security of lives and property before, during and after the 60th Independence Anniversary in the State.
“He congratulates all Nigerians and citizens of Ogun State in particular on this auspicious occasion and strongly advises that they should celebrate quietly at home and pray for the country,” the statement concluded.
Please, remember to always like our page and visit our website for updates. You can also download our android mobile app from google playstore