Ogun to kick start NHIS in January

Ogun NHIS To Kick Start In January

The Ogun state Government has disclosed its intention to kick start the proposed National Health Insurance Scheme in January, in order to consolidate the affordable and effective healthcare delivery programmes of the present administration, to the teeming people of Ogun state.

Speaker, Ogun State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Suraju Ishola Adekunbi stated this at the public hearing of the bill titled: “HB.NO 039/OG/2019- ‘A bill for a law to provide for the Establishment of the Ogun State Health Insurance Scheme and the Ogun State Health Insurance Governing Board with the objectives of ensuring access to good health care services to all residents of Ogun State and protecting their families from Financial hardship of huge medical bills and other matters connected therewith”, held at the Assembly Complex, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta.


Commending the massive upgrade of health infrastructure in hospitals across the State, Adekunbi recalled that Governor Ibikunle Amosun’s administration had since inception, embarked on various programmes aimed at uplifting the standard of living of the people in its pursuit to ensure that the rebuilding mission was pursued with total commitment.


The Speaker represented by his Deputy, Olakunle Oluomo, assured that the Assembly would ensure the speedy passage of the bill, as efficient health infrastructure and effective health workforce were required for a healthy society, promising that all submissions by stakeholders would be adequately considered, in a bid to fashion out an all-inclusive health insurance law.


In his contributions, the State Commissioner for Health, Babatunde Ipaye commended the State lawmakers for giving the bill accelerated consideration, since its transmission to the House of Assembly by the Governor, saying that all necessary stakeholders including, civil societies and professional groups, as well as, NHIS were duly consulted in the drafting of the all-inclusive legislation.

Describing the bill as an instrument for positive initiative for all levels of income earners in the State, Ipaye revealed that the bill was introduced to further reposition the State health sector to cater for all, irrespective of age, social status or political inclination.


The Commissioner added that the bill, upon passage and assent by Governor Amosun, would reduce out-of-pocket expenses on healthcare and would have taken care of  the  rise  in  the  cost  of  health  care  services for  equitable  distribution  of health  care  costs  among  different  income groups.


Explaining the modalities for the implementation of the scheme, Ipaye clarified that only 10 percent of the pull of resources would be earmarked for administrative expenses, while the remaining 90 percent would cater for health care services. He clarified that those already on another health insurance scheme would not be mandated to partake in the State scheme.


In his speech, the Chairman, House Committee on Health, Hon. Israel Jolaoso said, the public hearing was critical to the overall health wellbeing of the residents of the State, as it would help consolidate on the efficient health care delivery of the present administration.


Stakeholders who Contributed at the public hearing included; Representatives of the State Community Development Council, Olonade Ganiyu, State Coordinator, National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS),  Adeniji Sam, representative of the State Chapter of Association of General and Private Medical Practitioners of Nigeria, Kusimo Rabiu, State Chapter, Association of General Private Nursing Practitioners, Omotara Mofolorunsho, National Secretary, Committee For Defense of Human Right, Comrade Yinka Folarin, State Chapter, National Association of Nurses and Midwives, Akinola Adekunle and Redeem Christian Church of God, Ogun Province I, Oyekunle James, among others.

They posited that the bill was another milestone, aimed at making health care system in the State more accessible, affordable, efficient and effective for the general wellbeing of the people.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button