A Lebanese security official stated that the Israeli forces began to withdraw from the border villages with the progress of the Lebanese army, hours before the deadline for implementing the ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah.
The official said, asking not to be identified, that “the Israeli forces began to withdraw from the border villages, including Mays Al -Jabal and Blaida, with the progress of the Lebanese army.”
Earlier, an Israeli army spokesman said that the army would leave small numbers of forces in five strategic locations in southern Lebanon after the withdrawal date on February 18.
“We need to stay at these points at the present time to defend the Israelis, and to ensure that the operation is completed and handed over (points) in the end to the Lebanese armed forces,” Lieutenant Colonel Ndaf Shashani told reporters at a press conference.
He added that the extension of the implementation is in line with the ceasefire mechanism.
On Monday, Lebanese President Joseph Aoun expressed his fear that the Israeli withdrawal will not be complete from southern Lebanon, on the eve of the deadline specified for that on February 18.
Aoun said in a statement issued by the Presidency Office: “We are afraid of not achieving full withdrawal tomorrow. The Lebanese response will be through a unified national position and inclusive,” adding that “the important thing is to achieve the Israeli withdrawal, and the Hezbollah weapon comes within solutions agreed upon by the Lebanese.” .
In a previous statement, Aoun urged the sponsors of the ceasefire agreement to assume their responsibility in helping Lebanon to push Israel to withdraw from the south of the country, on the eve of the deadline for that.
Lebanon affirmed, through its officials, its rejection of any additional extension to implement the ceasefire agreement reached by American mediation and French sponsorship, and began its application on November 27 to include the Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon by sixty days. Then it was extended until February 18, but Lebanon reported last week from the United States the intention of Israel to remain in five points.
Aoun said, according to a statement from the Presidency of the Republic: “We are following communications at various levels to push Israel to adhere to the agreement and withdraw on the specified date and return the prisoners.” He continued, “The sponsors of the agreement must assume their responsibility in helping us.”
The ceasefire stipulated the endowment of the exchange of bombing across the Lebanese border between Hezbollah and the Israeli army, after a war that spanned about a year and punctuated by an Israeli wild penetration into border Lebanese areas.
The official literal text of the agreement was not published, but the statements issued by the Lebanese politicians and American and French delegates spoke about its broad lines.
The agreement stipulated to strengthen the spread of the Lebanese army and the United Nations temporary force in the south (UNIFIL), and the withdrawal of Hezbollah from the southern Litani River, and the dismantling of its military built, provided that the Lebanese army takes over.
The Israeli forces withdrew from the majority of the villages of the western and central sectors in southern Lebanon, but are still stationed in some villages of the eastern sector, where they are almost daily in extensive bombing operations, in addition to carrying out a number of air strikes and targeting, causing deaths.
On Sunday, Hezbollah Secretary -General Naim Qassem held the Lebanese state responsible for the work of the withdrawal of Israeli forces by February 18.
During the past weeks, the two sides exchanged accusations of violating the agreement. Israel has confirmed that it would not allow the party to rebuild its capabilities or transfer weapons.